Decentsea is an aloha based organization dedicated to the relentless protection and enjoyment of Hawaii’s coastlines, communities, reefs, and sea life.
A true marketplace for wave and landscape photographers to display and sell their work; our passion is art, but our mission is to give back to the islands and waters that give us so much - working to consistently enhance the responsible sustainability of our islands.
How does our community work? Anytime you purchase a piece of art, merchandise or a Hawaii based tour or activity from our website, you donate, and your donation will go to help fund key organizations across the Hawaiian islands who are fully dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of Hawaii’s youth communities, coastlines, waves, reefs, and sea life.
The Decentsea team also mentors a group of Young Adults as they work hard to develop special seasonal projects focused on driving awareness for Hawaii's ocean and coastal sustainability - launching the summer of 2015. Please check the Social Media - Blog Page for more details regarding our talented contributors.
We want our beaches clean, our waters clear, and our honu and monk seals happy! It's at the core of our characters and who we are...decentsea starts with you!
Why do photographers sell on Decentsea.com? We are a close group of uniquely talented individuals coming together for the greater good. Everyday, every morning, we are up at dawn to shoot sunrise in big waves. Our work is dangerous and it hurts. Creating wave photography is not easy (or cheap) and it's a real challenge to bring those magical images to you...our Landscape Photographers are equally as dedicated - up early for sunrise, or hiking long distances, navigating treacherous coastlines for sunsets...it's not for the faint of heart. Taking the images is half the battle - please keep in mind, there is a lot of back-end work and sacrifice put into creating one truly sell-able image. Expensive camera and underwater housing gear, hours of post-processing and editing film, as well as the printing and shipping...there is a lot of dedication put into our work (and we hope it shows).
The Hawaiians have no word for "nature" as in the sense of "being outside in nature", but they do have a word for "world" or "Earth". The word is honua and it also means "background" or "foundation". The ancient Hawaiians did not view nature as being something separate from themselves because nature was their reality.
If we look at the root words in honua we find the word ho'o-nu a. Some of the meanings of this word are: 1. to give generously and continuously; 2. to indulge as a child; and 3. surging, rising in swells, as the sea. So, a deeper meaning of honua is that the foundation of our physical reality, Nature, is continuously and generously giving to satisfy our needs and fulfill our wishes. But here is also a meaning of give and take. Just as the rising swells of the sea recede to gain renewed energy, Nature must also "recede" to renew Itself and give strength to the foundation of our reality. So, just as Nature gives of itself to us, we must give of ourselves back to Nature (The above are excerpts from, The Deeper Meaning of Aloha, by Curby Rule).
From our start to our goals:
- Founded in 2014.
- Headquartered in Oahu, Hawaii in Feb. 2015.
- 2015 will be the official public launch with artists and foundations throughout Hawaii.
- Goals: We are setting a 2015 goal of partnering with 2 major Hawaii based coastal, community and educational organizations.
- Setting a revenue target of 5K donated in our first year!
- Merchandising: in Q4 of 2015, we will be launching our first line of merchandise, including t-shirts, hats and stickers.
- Social Media: follow our journey (@decentsea @keephawaiiclean @kookhawaii) as we are excited for our social media launch - working to launch our Facebook, Instagram, and Tumblr, and Etsy campaigns in 2015.
- Youth Project: follow our unique Young Adult contributors as they work hard to develop special seasonal projects focused on driving awareness for the Hawaii's ocean and coastal sustainability, launched over the summer of 2015.
- Volunteering: we will be working closely with numerous beach cleanups, turtle conservations and community outreach programs! (ask how you can get involved)!